A radio frequency connector (RF connector) is generally considered to be a component that is attached to a cable or installed on an instrument as a component for electrical connection or separation of transmission lines. It is a mechatronic product. Simply speaking, it mainly serves as a bridge.
Radio frequency connectors are divided into:
Threaded connectors, bayonet connectors, push-in connectors, push-in lock connectors.
Considerations for choosing RF connectors
1. Interface mechanism type
The connection mechanism of the connector not only provides convenient and rapid connection or separation of coaxial transmission lines, but also provides stable electrical performance and environmental protection devices. When there is not enough space to rotate the connecting nut, a non-twisting connecting mechanism should be selected. In addition, for frame connectors, non-twisting connection mechanisms are also very useful.
2. Electrical performance
(1) Characteristic impedance: the connector should match the impedance of the transmission system and cable, otherwise it will cause the system performance to decrease;
(2) Withstand voltage: the highest withstand voltage of the connector should meet the withstand voltage requirements of the system;
Generally speaking, if it is in broadband applications, some favorable broadband impedance matching characteristics should be sacrificed to obtain the required high-voltage ratings.
(3) The highest work efficiency.
3. Cable installation method and cable type.
(1) Cable connection
There are two ways to connect the connector cable:
a. The standard tightening method of welding the center conductor and combing and embedding braided wires is still common, especially suitable for occasions without special installation tools, and is convenient for on-site maintenance;
b. The clamping method of crimping the center conductor and crimping the braid. Due to the high efficiency of the crimping method, reliable termination performance, and good consistency, it has become a common method today.
(2) Cable type: Choose a suitable connector according to the characteristics of the various cables used (such as flexible cables, semi-rigid cables, corrugated conductor insulated cables, foam insulated cables). Generally, cables with small outer diameters are connected with small The device matches.
4. Termination form
Connectors can be used for radio frequency coaxial cables, printed circuit boards, frame drawer type functional components and their connection interfaces.
5. Material and coating
The shell and inner conductor are mainly brass, beryllium copper, tin bronze, and the insulating material is mainly tetrafluoroethylene; the center conductor is generally plated with silver or gold, and the shell is plated with nickel or silver. SMA.SMB.SSMB.SMC outer conductor is all gold-plated.
The RF connector is used to transmit radio frequency energy, and its frequency range can reach 18GHz or higher. The basic structure includes: male and female neutral contacts, the interface material on the outside, the outermost is the contact, and the outer part functions as the outer shield of the cable (both transmitting signals and shielding grounding).
As a professional manufacturer of electrical connectors
, Sunkye offers various connectors, customized connectors are also available, get a price now!